In partnership with CBSSports.com
You have no favorite boards.
This is what we learned week 8
Tim Matyaszek | Clemson 247Sports | Twitter: @Tim_Matty247
I don't disagree with your assessment of Shaw, but he will run all over us if we don't get something fixed.
He has never been a great QB, just a smart one. His deep ball is pretty poor, but his scrambling ability is what's going to kill us.
It's fair to say Shaw is a decent scrambler. The problem is that his scrambling ability has been very poor to flat out bad against good defenses - as proven by his combined -3 yards versus LSU & Florida. His ability to throw or being 'smart' has also been very poor to flat out bad on the road.
That having been said, Clemson's defense has been average to poor as well. However, being in Death Valley could be the factor that pushes it to our favor.
This post was edited by Tim_Matty on 10/23/2012 at 2:22 PM
Very good stuff there. ND at 10-2 will definitely steal a bcs birth from someone. Mack Brown is down in Austin blaming their problems on the LHN from what i've read today. I don't think he'll make it much longer there.
Great job on the article, Tim! My thoughts on some of the same topics.
(1) Clemson's defense played really well on Saturday. I don't look at many stats. I use the eye test more, but when I do glance at a box score, I look at seven things, two of which are turnovers and 3rd down conversions. Glad you pointed out that Clemson's defense did a great job against the Hokies in both of those areas on Saturday.
(2) I think Gio Bernard is one the best players in the country. If he played football somewhere other than a basketball school, he'd be the front runner for the Heisman.
(3) I think the Florida Gators are the most overrated team in the country. Had South Carolina been healthy, they would have destroyed the Gators. UF has no offense. Someone will expose them! And if you don't believe me, look what happened last time they cruised through the regular season with a stellar defense and no offense. (2009). They faced Alabama in the SEC title game, and Tim Tebow cried after the loss. This time around, it'll be all of the Gators faithful crying if they face Alabama again.
(4) Notre Dame will go 10-2 and will steal a BCS bid from someone, I agree. But, their lack of a passing game will be exposed this weekend by Oklahoma though. I'm not sure how good the Fighting Irish actually are, considering most of the teams they've played (with the exception of Stanford) aren't playing good football. Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, BYU, etc. are all having mediocre seasons.
(5) David Cutcliffe has always been a great coach, not just at Duke. All those years he was Off. Coord. at Tennessee, they were winning. He leaves to be Head Coach at Ole Miss, and Fulmer struggles. Cutcliffe goes back to UT for one season, 2007, and they win the SEC East. Then he leaves for Duke in 2008. UT goes 5-7, and fires Fulmer. Cutcliffe was the brains behind the whole operation. Just like Rich Rod was the brains behind Tommy Bowden and Dan Mullen was the brains behind Urban Meyer's success. That's the reason Fulmer still doesn't have a job. Athletic Directors know the success came because of Cutcliffe, and he's proving it now at Duke. Sure, he'll never make the Blue Devils a powerhouse, but this is a team that hasn't been to a bowl since 1994. He deserves some credit for the job he's done there.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports